NHS & GP Services

The Occupational Health Service does not provide primary care and is not a walk-in centre. We strongly recommend that you sign up with a GP, if you have not already done so, as soon as possible. The NHS Choices website will provide a list of your closest GPs, dentists and other NHS services.

For a map of GP practices close to The University of Manchester campus, GP map link.

NHS Walk-In Centres

If you feel that you require emergency or immediate health care, but that it is not serious enough to go to Accident and Emergency, there are 5 Walk-In Centres in Manchester, and the three closest to the University are:

Oxford Road Area

City Centre


Primary Care Emergency Health Centre

City Health Centre

Hawthorn Medical Centre

Manchester Royal Infirmary (Near A&E)

Boots the Chemist, 2nd Floor

Unit K - Fallowfield Retail Park

Oxford Road/Upper Brook Street

32 Market Street

Birchfields Road




M13 9WL

M1 1PL

M14 6FS

0161 276 5193

0161 839 6227

0161 220 6080


In the case of a serious medical emergency, where someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk, always call (9)999 for an ambulance. Then call University Security (69966) immediately so that they may assist in the ambulance getting to you.

If the situation is not life-threatening then we would urge you to do one of the following:

  • Contact your GP
  • Visit your local A&E Department
  • Visit a local Walk-In Centre
  • Call NHS 111 (non-emergency NHS helpline)

For Dental Emergencies you can call the Manchester Dental Helpline:0161 476 9649 (8am-6pm Monday-Friday) or 0161 337 2246 (6pm-10pm Monday to Friday. 10am-10pm Weekends and Bank Holidays.)

Students from the European Economic Area (EEA)

Please be reminded that it is a requirement for EEA students and their family members to have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), unless they are also here as a worker or as a self- employed person. This requirement comes from the EU Directive concerning the free movement of persons and is therefore transposed into the UK's implementing EEA Regulations. The UK government does not accept access to the NHS as meeting this requirement. This position has been upheld in UK case law.

The UK government has said that it will only accept one of the following as evidence of CSI:

  • European Health Insurance Card (if the stay is not intended to be permanent), issued by an EEA member state other than the UK;
  • Private medical insurance (which is comprehensive);
  • Form S1; Form S2; Form S3

Additionally access to non-emergency NHS treatment may be subject to providing evidence of entitlement to receive the treatment. See our information on medical treatment. There is more information on the UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) website for EEA national students and their family members (including information about CSI).