Occupational Health Service

Frequently Asked Questions

About Us

What are your opening times?

We are open 9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Where are you located?

Waterloo Place, Oxford Road and The Mill, Sackville Street. See our Contact Us page for more details.

Which centre do I need to contact?

From Tuesday 3rd January 2017

The service for ALL Undergraduate students is located at 182-184 Waterloo Place Oxford Road, Manchester. M13 9GP Tel: 0161 275 2858

E mail: waterlooocchealth@manchester.ac.uk

The service for Staff and Postgraduates is located at B22 The Mill, Sackville Street, Manchester. M13 9PL (sat Nav: M1 3BB) Tel: 0161 306 5806

E mail: millocchealth@manchester.ac.uk

Where is the nearest car park to your department?

For Waterloo Place: Cark Park B (Booth Street East) & Car Park D (Booth Street West/ Aquatics Centre).

For The Mill: Car Park A (Charles Street).

See The Interactive Map (select Car Parks).

I need to park close by due to walking difficulties - can I park on site?

Please contact us to arrange this.

Services Provided

How do I refer myself, a student or a colleague?

Please see our referrals pages for Staff, Undergraduates and Postgraduates for details on how to refer.

How do I get an appointment to return to work/study after an interuption?

For a return to work appointment you must be referred to us by your school or department so please contact them.

Where do I get a MMR/Meningitis C vaccine?

You should see your GP, unless it is a requirement for your work or studies.

Can I see a GP here?

No, sorry we are not able to help as we are not a primary care service. See our NHS Services page for guidance.

How do I register with a GP?

See our NHS Services page.

Are you a walk-in centre?

See our NHS Services page.

What happens when I am referred by my school/HR?

Please see our What to expect pages on the referrals sections of the Staff, Undergraduate and Postgraduate pages

Is your service confidential?

We are bound by strict rules regarding confidentiality and clinical information will only be shared with your informed consent. For more information see The University's Data Protection website.

How do I get an eye test (for DSE users)?

We can offer a vision screening to assess whether you need corrective lenses for your work or study.

How can I get a laser eye test?

Contact The Mill.

Can I have counselling here?

If you require counselling, you should contact the Counselling Service for Staff or Students.

If you feel that your health is having a negative impact on your work or studies, or vice versa, you should also contact us as a self referral. (Staff, Undergraduates and Postgraduates)

Can I get my travel vaccinations here?

We provide travel vaccinations and advice for staff and students that are travelling as part of their work or studies.

Do I need to pay for my vaccinations that are related to work/elective?

It varies on the course and the reason for travel. Please discuss this with an Occupational Health Nurse and they will advise accordingly.

What vaccinations do I need for my course?

For information on the vaccines required for your course then please contact your school. For more specific guidance please contact us.

When will I receive my appointment for my health screening?

Your school will inform you as to when your appointment is.

Are screening appointments statutory?

Yes. Where necessary for health surveillance required under legislation or screening due to course requirements.

Can you give me the flu vaccine?

No, you will need to speak to your GP.

How do I cancel or rearrange an appointment?

We would prefer that you try to keep your appointment, if this is not possible then contact us to rearrange your appointment, giving us as much notice as possible.


Can I have access to my Occupational Health records?

Yes, we supply copies of documents from your records, the information can only be given to you.

How do I register with a dentist?

See our NHS Services page

Do you have a HC1 form?

You can pick one up from the Students’ Union, a Jobcentre Plus or NHS hospital. You may also be able to get an HC1 from your doctor, dentist or optician. You can also get an HC1 form by contacting the Health Cost advice line on 0845 850 1166.

Medical Emergencies

What do I do if I have a needlestick/sharps injury?

Please see our needlestick/sharps injury protocol.

To obtain urgent advice:

9am-4pm MON to FRI: Contact Us

Out of Hours and Bank Holidays: Contact the A&E departmant of your nearest hospital. At the earliest opportunity, report the incident to us.

Can I see a first aider?

Please contact your local first aider whose details can be found here and are also displayed in communal areas of all buildings. For more information see our pages.

There is a student in our halls/school with suspected meningitis/mumps/measles etc, what do I do?

Call us immediately to provide us with more details.

Who do I contact in an emergency?

We don't provide treatment or diagnose so in most situations you are best going to your GP or a NHS walk-in centre (see our NHS Services page) who will be able to assist in an emergency. If you need to speak to us urgently, please call us.

Contact us